Sunday, February 20, 2011

Photos of food.

I'm currently sans decent camera, and a friend with a gadget fetish just lent me the really-quite-nice Canon Rebel T2i that he recently upgraded from (thanks, Joel!). I've never really gotten into "food styling" (it even sounds silly), but this seems as good a time as any to play around a bit.

I hereby resolve never to be one of those people who takes pictures of everything they eat, never blog incessantly about the minutiae of dinner (key word there being incessantly; I reserve the right to do this sometimes), and never ever have anything at all to do with this foodspotting business.

But food is so damn photogenic. Easy dinner with what I had lying about:





  • Tricolore corkscrew pasta;
  • Spicy Red sauce, with: garlic (lots and lots), 2 leeks, mystery mild dried chiles leftover from a friend's CSA box, several generous dashes of balsamic vinegar for sweetness, 2 cans organic tomato paste, water, salt, black pepper, & crushed red pepper (I like heat);
  • Tossed with: roasted delicata squash, roasted walnuts, & fresh baby arugula (at the very, very end).
Some crumbly goat cheese would have been nice, and I might add some red wine to the sauce next time. Also, I was a bit heavy on the baby arugula and the bitterness was a tad more than I was aiming for. I do love me some nuts in pasta though, and delicata squash is good in nearly everything. And so pretty!

1 comment:

  1. My Brazilian friend has a foodie blog. A long time ago she posted this, and I come back to it every once in a while for ideas:

    http://www.kitchencorners.com/2008/10/food-photography-101-with-guest-blogger.html

    And here is some of what I've done. Super novice, and not much styling, but I've realized in my years of scanning foodie blogs that some people can't make their food look good, and if not, then what is the point of posting a recipe. So I just try to make mine look good.

    http://mm.prietos.org/2010/05/crema-di-limone-con-bacche.html

    http://mm.prietos.org/2009/04/feijoada.html

    http://mm.prietos.org/2009/03/craving-for-stuffed-peppers.html

    ReplyDelete